Friday 29 May 2009

I haven't done any form of exercise since Monday and I'm really struggling with it. I can't sit still. I am constantly fidgeting and walking around the house. It's like I have too much energy inside me and I just want to get rid of it in order to relax. I always get rid of it by doing exercise, usually running. However, I have been forcing myself not to do any exercise in the hope that my knee will get better.

Having said that, I've been counting down to the weekend as I am playing badminton on Saturday and Sunday with work, which I'm really looking forward too it as I love the sport and I'm quite good at it - I used to be in the Isle of Man squad and I want to get back into it. I'm going to join a club in September when badminton season starts again.

Whilst writing this post it's only just occurred to me that I could probably go swimming without causing any harm to my knee. I'll probably do that next week.

Right now my knee feels fine, however, earlier today I could feel it wasn't right again which is worrying because it normally only hurts during or recently after running or long distance walking and like I said above, I haven't done any exercise for four days.

On Wednesday evening, I walked 2 miles to the bus station to catch a bus to Kirk Michael, (which I would normally have walked) my knee started hurting for the last 5 minutes of the walk and even once I got to Kirk Michael walking to Daniel's house (only 400 meter away) hurt my knee. This made me really upset, it still does, because completing the Parish walk means everything to me and I'm so worried that this knee is going to stop me.

Daniel says it's because I've overdone it and done too much training and my body can't cope with it. However, I disagree, because I have always done a lot of exercise but only for the last 6 Months have a walked so much, but I've just replaced it with running and going to the gym which is supposed to be easier on your joints.

My friends and family are convincing me that I am doing the right thing by resting but it feels so unnatural to me, I don't know what to do with the spare time that I have. I'm also being told that theirs always next year but in my head I'm still doing the Parish walk and I'm going to complete it. I made my mind up 10 years ago when I first discovered the event! I have to be optimistic to have a chance.

On the plus side of having all this spare time, is that I have been able to apply generous amount of surgical spirit to my feet. This will harden my skin and help prevent blisters.

Last night I made sweet mashed potato and I'm so glad I did because I discovered that I didn't like it. I'm going to mash ordinary potato instead. My friend lucy is going to make me risotto and I might make some pasta as well. The mash and risotto especially will be easy to swallow without much chewing. (I find it difficult to eat during long distance walking, it's usually the case of forcing it down)

I'm also going to buy lots of fruit - strawberry's, blue Berry's, grapes, oranges, melon, bananas, peaches. I enjoy eating fruit, especially whilst walking, it's refreshing and contains natural sugar.

I'm going to go for a big shop a few days prior to the event and it will probably be expensive. It will be one weeks worth of shopping intended for the one day. Another reason why I must complete the Parish - I've spent a lot of money - buying clothes, trainers and food.

All in all it doesn't look good to the outsider, but I'm staying positive, I've got it inside my head that I am completing it and that my knee will be fine on the day. The Month leading up to the Parish is not exactly what I would have liked but I can't help it and I'm doing the best I can in the situation I'm in.

No comments: