Friday 22 May 2009

Can do attitude

Last week I walked over 100 miles by walking around the isle of man coastal paths following the the way of the gull signs. I did it with a group of other walkers, mostly from overseas. However, there were a couple of locals, such as Bethany who completed the double Parish last year.

It was nice to listen to her story, and others experiences and tips they had.

If anything is going to keep me going it's - if Bethany can complete 2 laps of the Parish, I can complete 1 lap. Another little saying I say to myself when I am really struggling is pain is temporary but quiting is forever and pain is temporary and pride is forever.

Also, when I am feeling low in the Parish and feel like quiting, I'm going to think of the high that's coming, it might take 10 minutes or 1 hour but it will come. I am always optimistic and I think anyone who completes the Parish has to be. When I'm struggling, I will visualise the finish at the war memorial, even thinking about that now makes me really happy, that will be another technique I'll be using to help me finish.

At the beginning and end of everyday of the walking festival, a taxi drove us to the start and back. The taxi driver we had completed the Parish walk last year in 2008. He told me everything which happened in great detail - we drove along the Parish walk route for a while and showed me which fence he was slumped over and where he stopped for 20 minutes. He had tried to complete the Parish for the last 2 years and almost quit again at Lonan Church but his back up team encouraged him not too. He made it within the time limit with 10 minutes to spare.

That's another story I'll remember when I'm walking it myself. He completed it in the pouring rain. Hopefully, the weather can't possible be worse than what it was last year. I'm so grateful that I was under 21 in last years event and therefore not allowed to walk beyond Peel.

Anyone who completes the Parish walk has done a remarkable achievement. They should be proud for themselves for the rest of their lives but I personally think that the longer you take to complete the Parish, the more the achievement is. As you have had more chances to quit and felt the pain for much longer.

I'm feeling very positive about the Parish today because after completing over 100 miles in 5 days, I am very pleased to say that I feel absolutely fine. No blisters or sore feet, my muscles aren't hurting, I don't even feel tired, I could walk again today. Although, I'm not, as probably should rest - I don't want to over do it.

I'm thinking of resting today and Sunday and then walking 20 miles on Bank holiday Monday. I'm planning on training up to the last week before the Parish. Yesterday, I had the thought of walking to Peel or even Kirk Michael - the route of the Parish walk which is 32 / 38 miles but now I'm thinking it might be too much? I'll see how I feel but I am scared of either doing to much or too little.

I'm already starting to get nervous, it feels very real now that it is only a few week away. I'm also under alot of pressure to complete it, but I am confident that I can. It's not going to be easy, I'll be in a lot of pain and I will feel like giving up as certain points but I am mentally strong. I will keep plodding on and say to myself, I can do this. I think about what other people achieve which is even harder, for example mount everes. I have walked Kilimanjaro in Africa and I have experienced altidude sickness to a certain degree and it isn't pleasent. Kilimanjaro is nothing compared to Mount Everous. If people can do such achievements then I can complete the Parish walk.

1 comment:

Michael said...

If I were you, I'd leave the long stuff alone now and just concentrate on conditioning for the next two to three weeks. Little and often at speed.