Sunday 8 February 2009

Another week with not much walking going on. However, I don't think I should be worried because I've still pushed myself in other training areas. I like to see it as cross training. The things I've been doing will help my strength, general fitness and stamina.

On Monday I did a 6 mile interval run. I varied my speed frequently from jogging to sprinting. I felt tired at the end and felt like I had a good work out. It was snowing that night and it was quite surreal running in the snow.

On Tuesday, I did a weights class at the gym. This is the same class I've been going to for 4 weeks and this week was the first time I noticed improvement. The class works on most major muscle groups and I struggle the most with my arms. Towards the end of the class when we do bisep curls I tend to loose the beat towards the end. This time, however, I kept to the beat and the next day my muscles weren't sore. It's given me some kind of satisfaction that the class must be doing something.

On Wednesday, I worked as hard as I could, I was exhausted at the end. I did speed training for running. I did 1km slow jog as a warm up followed by 800m sprints 4 times with a 3 minute rest in between. I finished this off with a 100m sprint and a 1km cool down. This for sure will benefit fitness level and stamina.

On Thursday I went to another weights class at my gym and on Friday I did a gentle cardio workout during my lunch.

I wanted to go to circuit training on Saturday which is really tough but unfortunately I missed my bus which I was really annoyed about and couldn't go. Instead, I ended up doing nothing over the weekend.

Other than that I have walked a total of 20 miles this week just walking from A-B. I don't like to count this as training- because it not. But whilst i'm walking I sometimes ponder the question is this helping? Is this adding miles to my legs? Does walking from A-B all the time make any difference? I don't know. I do know however, that I will continue doing this kind of milleage each week quite easily. I always have.

Anyway, I don't think I should be too worried about not walking any long distances. As the stuff I've been doing most have some benefit? To be honest, the weather is putting me off. It's far too cold. I know I've been out running in this weather but I think it's different because running keeps you warmer. Also, I know for a fact that I'll be walking a lot more during the lighter evenings. I'm confident about that.

I've still been suffering from my usual Reynard's but I'm trying lots of things to help the situation. I bought lots of sports gloves last week which arrived on Monday. I wore 2 pairs of gloves on Monday and Wednesday (as I was training outside)but I still suffered badly! :( It's a real shame because I can't enjoy it as much and I end up spending my rest periods wasting my energy and breath by blowing hot air on to my hands. So, this week I bought a pair of gloves designed for people with Reynard's. I've also been to the doctors who have given me a prescription which should help prevent an attack and in the mean time I have been asked to get a blood test.

I'm not sure If I have mentioned this already but I have finally signed myself up for the Parish Walk so their is no turning back now.

The event means so much to me that I'm dreaming about it all ready. The dream was that I walked as far as Peel, felt absolutely fine and decided to see my friend for 5 minutes because it was her birthday. I ended up having such a good time that I completely forgot about the whole event and by 10pm I was receiving text messages asking how I was getting on. In my dream I then suddenly remembered about the Parish walk and was so angry at myself as finishing would have been impossible.

Obviously this would never happen, especially since I don't know anyone with a birthday on Parish walk day, but if anyone does see me in Peel just make sure I keep going!

Just thought I'd mention that my mum has a prescription for The Runners World magazine and sometimes I read them myself. Their a really good read and you can find out some interesting facts. One section which I enjoyed reading and thought I'd share is this:

You can do more by sleeping than you can by training in the final weeks before a big race. In the final weeks your primary training component should be sleeping. It also says, if you lay awake the night before the race (which I normally do to be honest) you shouldn't panick because it's sleep that you get 2 nights before the race that matters.

Runners World's perfect pre-drink before a race (apparently is mirrors the composition of human sweat:)

750ml of water
250 ml of orange juice
2 heaped teaspoons of sugar
1 large pinch of salt

How to make energy bars (also in runnersworld:)

200g dried fruit
2 tbsp of honey
50ml orange juice
150g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 eggs
100g porridge oats

Instruction: Mix ingredients together and place in baking tray for 15 mins at 180 C (gas mark 4)

I am actually going to do this and try it out, it's cheaper than having to buy the energy bars all the time and probably just as good if not better. Let me know if you try this out.

No comments: